Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged extreme weather
- What Will Climate Change Mean to Your Community?
- Climate change is one of the most serious public health threats facing our nation. It will have an impact on all of us, but many people don't realize how it could affect their health and their community.
- Extreme Weather Map
Thousands of Weather Records Broken in the US, Costs Climbing – and Climate Change a Factor
- NRDC mapped record-breaking weather events that occurred this year within the 50 United States and explored the implications of these types of events with a changing climate.
Documents Tagged extreme weather in All Sections
- Hurricane Sandy: The Growing Threat of Climate Change
- Scientists warn that increasing levels of carbon pollution in the atmosphere are contributing to a warming world and rising seas that could lead to more destructive storms like Sandy in the future.
- List of NRDC's Post-Sandy Priorities for Governmental Action
- This list summarizes NRDC's top ten priority issues one year after Superstorm Sandy devastated parts of the East Coast. Get document in pdf.
- Soil Matters
How the Federal Crop Insurance Program should be reformed to encourage low-risk farming methods with high-reward environmental outcomes
- The Federal Crop Insurance Program (FCIP) is meant to protect farmers in times of weather-related devastation. As climate changes and the harsh realities of extreme weather slam the countryside, federal crop insurance, intended to alleviate risk for farmers, actually drives the agricultural community toward riskier methods and creates less resilient land by encouraging a narrow set of farm practices.
- Your Soil Matters
- Most farmers carry Federal Crop Insurance, yet this program does little to help prepare farmers for the challenges of climate change. When farmers lose their crops, your federal taxes help pay for part of farmers' insurance claims. Unless farmers become more resilient to increasing weather pressures, this already large federal program is primed to spiral out of control.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Tell Bay Area Air Authorities What You Think of Tar Sands
- posted by Diane Bailey, 12/4/13
- Dangerous Crude Oil Terminals Blocked!
- posted by Diane Bailey, 11/14/13
- No child left outside
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 11/11/13