Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged KimKnowlton
- Where There's Fire, There's Smoke
Wildfire Smoke Affects Communities Distant from Deadly Flames
- Even if you don't live in an area prone to wildfires, your health may be threatened by smoke from fires raging in other parts of the country. NRDC analysis shows that about two-thirds of the United States lived in counties affected by smoke conditions in 2011. And climate change will make matters worse: hotter temperatures and longer dry seasons in summer create conditions that can lead to more frequent wildfires.
Documents Tagged KimKnowlton in All Sections
- Preparing for Climate Change: Lessons for Coastal Cities from Hurricane Sandy
- Scientists warn that the damage wreaked by Hurricane Sandy is a glimpse of what is to come with future storms as climate change fuels rising seas and more powerful extreme weather events. NRDC's analysis of the damage, in human terms, finds New York City woefully unprepared for this future.
- Climate Change and Health Preparedness in India
Protecting Local Communities in Ahmedabad, Gujarat from Extreme Heat
- In light of predictions of increased temperatures, rising sea levels, and changing disease patterns in India, there is a pressing need for increased scientific research and strategies on climate adaptation, focused on public health for the most vulnerable populations. Extreme heat already threatens the health of local communities, who suffer dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion, heat syncope or heat stroke, and even heat-related death.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Trying to Stop Another Nanosilver Pesticide
- posted by Mae Wu, 7/28/15
- Climate change variability, not just temperatures, increase mortality risks for vulnerable populations
- posted by Juan Declet-Barreto, 7/24/15
- Multidrug resistant foodborne bug threats on retail meat - Klebsiella, not your usual suspect
- posted by Carmen Cordova, 7/23/15