Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged natural gas
- Don't Get Fracked!
Steps to Keep You and Your Family Safe from Drilling
- Drilling for natural gas and the use of hydraulic fracturing is growing across the United States. Although drilling can create jobs and income, many fear the effects of drilling on their health, land and quality of life. Current laws need to be changed to catch up with the drilling explosion. In the meantime, you can act now to protect you and your family.
Documents Tagged natural gas in All Sections
- Unchecked Fracking Threatens Health, Water Supplies
The rapid expansion of natural gas drilling across the nation endangers human health and the environment.
- The oil and gas industry is seeking to expand natural gas production across the nation, as new technology makes it easier to extract gas from previously inaccessible sites. NRDC supports establishing a fully effective system of safeguards for hydraulic fracturing to protect our health and land and is committed to working with the federal government, states, communities and industry to put these safeguards into place right away.
- Leaking Profits
The U.S. Oil and Gas Industry Can Reduce Pollution, Conserve Resources, and Make Money by Preventing Methane Waste
- Methane makes up as much as 90 percent of natural gas, and significant amounts of methane are wasted when natural gas is extracted by fracking or other techniques. Preventing the leakage and venting of methane from natural gas facilities would reduce pollution, enhance air quality, improve human health, and conserve energy resources.
- Environmental Risks with Proposed Offshore Oil and Gas Development off Alaska’s North Slope
- In August 2012, Royal Dutch Shell Oil (Shell) plans to begin exploratory drilling in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska's northern coast. This paper argues that drilling and related industrial activity would create an unacceptable risk of irreparable damage to this unique part of the planet and should be postponed until comprehensive research can be performed and a credible system for responding to spills is put into place.
- In Fracking's Wake
New Rules are Needed to Protect Our Health and Environment from Contaminated Wastewater
- Natural gas development has exploded, fueled by advances in an extraction technique known as hydraulic fracturing or fracking. Unfortunately, federal and state safeguards to protect people and the environment from the hazards of fracking have not kept pace.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Antibiotics 2.0: Re-inventing antibiotic therapies using yesterday's antibiotics for human medicine
- posted by Carmen Cordova, 9/16/15
- Subway's Saga Continues: World's Largest Chain Gets "F" for Antibiotics & Meat
- posted by David Wallinga, MD, 9/15/15
- California bill leads nation with significant steps to limit antibiotic overuse in meat production
- posted by Avinash Kar, 9/15/15