Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged renewable energy
- Boosting the Benefits
Improving Air Quality and Health by Reducing Global Warming Pollution in California
- California has the opportunity to combat global warming while simultaneously improving air quality and public health throughout the state. Measures being considered under the California Global Warming Solutions Act (AB 32) could save hundreds of lives and prevent thousands of other negative health impacts each year -- saving billions of dollars in healthcare costs.
- Coal Is Hazardous to Your Health
Coal-fired power plants threaten the environment and your health.
- Burning coal releases enormous amounts of harmful pollutants into the air and water, with serious health consequences. Waste generated by coal-fired power plants contains hazardous pollutants that can contaminate our drinking water and cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive problems. This index of fact sheets describes the health hazards of our continued reliance on coal.
Documents Tagged renewable energy in All Sections
- Global Warming Solutions
- Solving global warming means investing in clean energy, green jobs and smart energy solutions. We can’t afford delay. This five-step plan will repower, refuel and rebuild America, starting today.
- Our Forests Aren't Fuel
- Forests are for wild animals, fresh air, clean water, and hiking with our kids. But now industry wants to burn our forests for biomass electricity, polluting the air we breathe and stealing from future generations.
- A Brighter Future: Shifting the Way We Develop Renewable Energy on Public Lands
- Renewable energy potential in the U.S. is significant, and our public lands can play an important role in helping to transition our economy to a clean energy future. The Department of the Interior is moving to a smarter, landscape-level approach to developing energy resources that facilitates development in the best places while safeguarding the most important values for future generations.
- Think Wood Pellets are Green? Think Again.
- Biomass is often described as a clean, renewable fuel and a greener alternative to coal and other fossil fuels for producing electricity. But recent science shows that many forms of biomass -- especially from forests -- produce higher carbon emissions compared to fossil fuels.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Will Subway make a 21st century decision on antibiotics in its 50th anniversary year?
- posted by Lena Brook, 6/23/15
- New climate-health report in The Lancet: our opportunity moment is now
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 6/23/15
- Tackling Climate Change Could Be The 21st Century's Greatest Health Opportunity, Medical Journal Report Says
- posted by Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, 6/22/15