Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged power plants
- Get the Lead Out
- Children across the nation face the risk of lead poisoning, but steps can be taken to protect them.
Documents Tagged power plants in All Sections
- Using the Clean Air Act to Sharply Reduce Carbon Pollution from Existing Power Plants
- Climate and energy experts at NRDC have crafted a groundbreaking proposal that will help the Administration create jobs, grow the economy, and curb climate change by going after the country's largest source of climate-changing pollution: emissions from hundreds of existing power plants.
- Summary of Recent Mercury Emission Limits for Power Plants in the United States and China
- Both China and the United States have adopted landmark standards to curb mercury emissions among other pollutants as well from power plants, addressing the largest global source of mercury air pollution. Globally, coal-fired power plants are the largest source of mercury emissions, with China and the United States contributing a significant portion. In China, power plant emissions standards are expected to deliver mercury reductions in 2015, mainly through controls for other air pollutants, but nevertheless significant. In the U.S., significant mercury reductions are expected from coal-fired power plants beginning in 2016. Get document in pdf.
- Scaling Up Energy Efficiency
Saving Money, Creating Jobs, and Slashing Emissions
- Energy efficiency is a proven resource with significant potential to dramatically reduce power plant emissions and to do so at low cost. Power plants represent 40 percent of the nation's total climate-changing pollution.
- Toxic Power: How Power Plants Contaminate Our Air and States
- The EPA recently finalized the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS), requiring significant reductions in mercury and air toxic emissions, inlcuding those from the electric sector, the largest industrial source of toxic air pollution in the United States. Despite the significant benefit to public health, power companies and some in Congress continue to fight against the standards.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Tell Bay Area Air Authorities What You Think of Tar Sands
- posted by Diane Bailey, 12/4/13
- Dangerous Crude Oil Terminals Blocked!
- posted by Diane Bailey, 11/14/13
- No child left outside
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 11/11/13