Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged cancer
- The Story of Silent Spring
How a courageous woman took on the chemical industry and raised important questions about humankind's impact on nature.
- Rachel Carson's Silent Spring (1962) was one of the landmark books of the 20th century. It described how DDT entered the food chain and accumulated in the fatty tissues of animals, including humans, causing cancer and genetic damage. Silent Spring not only exposed the hazards of the pesticide DDT, but eloquently questioned humanity's faith in technological progress and helped set the stage for the environmental movement that followed.
- Case Study: Alar
- Much as Upton Sinclair's The Jungle led to passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act 0f 1906, and Rachel Carson's Silent Spring triggered bans of DDT and other toxins, the airing in February 1989 of the 60 Minutes broadcast, "A is for Apples" -- based in large part on NRDC publication, "Intolerable Risk: Pesticides in Our Children's Food" -- sparked a chain of events that led to critical improvements in food safety policy.
- Disease Clusters Spotlight the Need to Protect People from Toxic Chemicals
- An unusually large number of people sickened by a disease in a certain place and time is known as a 'disease cluster'. Clusters of cancer, birth defects, and other chronic illnesses have sometimes been linked to chemicals or other toxic pollutants in local communities, although these links can be controversial.
- Testimony of Dr. Gina M. Solomon on Disease Clusters and Environmental Health
- Gina M. Solomon, M.D., M.P.H. testified before the United States Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works on March 29, 2011 on the subject of Disease Clusters and Environmental Health. Dr. Solomon is a Senior Scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council; and is also Director, Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency Program and Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at University of California, San Francisco. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Tell Bay Area Air Authorities What You Think of Tar Sands
- posted by Diane Bailey, 12/4/13
- Dangerous Crude Oil Terminals Blocked!
- posted by Diane Bailey, 11/14/13
- No child left outside
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 11/11/13