Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged mercury
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury: Contents, Guidance, and Resources
- It will take an international solution to curb the world's mercury pollution problem -- and the United States should lead the way.
- Testimony from Linda Greer on Mercury Legislation
- Testimony from Linda Greer, senior scientist and director of the Natural Resources Defense Council's public health program, on mercury legislation before the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, May 13, 2008.
- Coal Is Hazardous to Your Health
Coal-fired power plants threaten the environment and your health.
- Burning coal releases enormous amounts of harmful pollutants into the air and water, with serious health consequences. Waste generated by coal-fired power plants contains hazardous pollutants that can contaminate our drinking water and cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive problems. This index of fact sheets describes the health hazards of our continued reliance on coal.
- Lost and Found: Missing Mercury from Chemical Plants Pollutes Air and Water
- Mercury is an invisible, odorless poison that can pollute oceans and rivers, contaminate our food and seep into the air, potentially causing severe health problems when ingested by humans. A major source of this pollution is chlor-alkali chemical manufacturing plants. Not only do these plants release harmful mercury into the environment, but they also cannot account for tons of mercury "lost" each year, which likely ends up in the air we breathe.
Documents Tagged mercury in All Sections
- Poisoning the Great Lakes
Mercury Emissions from Coal-Fired Power Plants In the Great Lakes Region
- Mercury emitted into the air from coal-fired power plants is by far the leading man-made source of mercury in the Great Lakes and the rivers and streams of the region. The report analyzed pollution data to determine the top 25 mercury emitting power plants in the Great Lakes states, and the top three in each state.
- Clean Air Saves Lives
Real stories of American families with asthma
- Four real stories of American families with asthma. Includes videos and images.
- EPA Mercury and Air Toxics Rule Curbs Pollution
The Obama Administration Protects Our Air and Our Health
- The Mercury and Air Toxic Standards
- Compact Fluorescent Lights Are Safe for Your Home
- CFLs are safe, and can help your family save energy and money. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- When water hurts - in Flint and beyond
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 2/1/16
- Why I am a fan of Carbon Disclosure Project's latest report
- posted by Linda Greer, 1/27/16
- Huge Gas Leak in Porter Ranch: A Sobering Reminder of the Health Threats from Oil and Gas in California
- posted by Miriam Rotkin-Ellman, 1/5/16