Environmental Issues: Nuclear Energy, Nonproliferation, and Disarmament
All Documents in Nuclear Energy, Nonproliferation, and Disarmament Tagged nuclear power
- Preventing Hydrogen Explosions at Indian Point Nuclear Plant
Entergy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Continue to Make Inaccurate and Misleading Statements Regarding the Indian Point Energy Center
- The two pressurized water reactors at Entergy's Indian Point Energy Center remain poorly equipped to minimize the risks of explosive hydrogen that would be produced in a severe nuclear accident involving one or both of these units. In light of this nuclear safety deficiency, NRDC opposes continued operation of the reactors beyond their current license terms.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Halts Nuclear Reactor Licensing Decisions in Response to NRDC Lawsuit
- On June 8, 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals decided in favor of NRDC and other petitioners who challenged the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) over their "Waste Confidence Decision" and Temporary Storage Rule. The Court ruled that the NRC violated the National Environmental Policy Act by failing to address the impacts of the reality that the United States does not have a permanent storage facility for toxic radioactive nuclear waste.
- What if the Fukushima nuclear fallout crisis had happened here?
- There are 104 nuclear reactors in the United States. If one of them lost both primary and backup power for even a matter of hours, it could lead to a meltdown and an airborne radioactive plume. See what could have happened if a reactor in your area had a severe nuclear accident on March 11, 2011.
- The Fukushima Nuclear Accident and Its Implications for Nuclear Power in the U.S. and Globally
- This memorandum from Christopher Paine, Nuclear Program Director at NRDC briefly summarizes: the course of the Fukushima accident and subsequent releases of radiation; key questions for Japan posed by the accident; the U.S. response to date; the implications of the accident for a fresh safety assessment US reactors; and NRDC’s general approach to nuclear power generation. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Latin America Green News: green tax in Chile, blue carbon in Costa Rica, transparent processes requested for Cabo Dorado in Mexico
- posted by Denée Reaves, 4/14/14
- Jonathan Schell, Climate Change, and the (Still Pending) Fate of the Earth
- posted by Mark Izeman, 4/4/14
- Energy Efficiency Progress by America's Utilities: An Update
- posted by Ralph Cavanagh, 3/25/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.