NRDC and other mountain defenders are putting the heat on banks to stop financing mountaintop removal. So far, six banks have adopted policies designed to restrict funding for companies using MTR mining practices. But there's more work to be done. Our new report shows that despite taking some initial steps to curb lending, most banks are continuing to support mountaintop removal in a significant way.
The Last Mountain
Get ready for the movie the coal industry doesn't want you to see. Across the Appalachians, companies are blowing entire mountaintops to smithereens to get at the thin coal seams below. Big coal benefits while the health and wealth of the region’s citizens are systematically stripped away. But many are fighting back – and The Last Mountain showcases their struggle. The documentary features NRDC attorney Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., joined by courageous Appalachian families and activists who are trying to save their beloved mountains.
In the Sierras, they climb them. In the Rockies, they ski them. In Appalachia, they level them.
Coal isn't clean, and it's definitely not cheap. Across the Appalachians, companies are blowing entire mountaintops to smithereens to get at the thin coal seams below. The communities of the region are paying the cost in their health, their culture and their natural heritage.
Mining companies are clear cutting thousands of acres of some of the world's most biologically diverse forests. They're filling local rivers and streams with blasted debris, polluting drinking water with toxic waste and sacrificing the safety and sanctity of countless communities.
Mountaintop removal mining is not just devastating the region's environment and quality of life. It is also steadily crushing the heart of Appalachia.
Big coal companies should not be allowed to turn our nations' oldest mountains into molehills, and NRDC is working with local allies to halt this damaging practice. Laws must change, environmental regulations must be enforced, corporations must reform their practices, and legal action must be taken to stop the most ecologically and culturally destructive form of strip mining on earth.
You can help today by urging Congress to reverse a Bush administration rule that allows mining companies to legally dump waste into mountain streams.
More on Mountaintop Removal on NRDC's Switchboard Blog
- Willie Nelson's America the Beautiful Video Against Mountaintop Removal Mining
- posted by Allen Hershkowitz, 3/25/14
- NRDC released a video yesterday supported by Willie Nelson’s iconic song America the Beautiful ...
- On the Frontlines, Power is Shifting
- posted by Robert Friedman, 10/22/13
- There’s something about standing on a fracking pad or at the edge of a mountaintop removal site ...
- Even Kids Get It: End Mountaintop Removal Now
- posted by Melissa Waage, 1/3/13
- Today our friends at Appalachian Voices present kids in Appalachia explaining why mountaintop ...
- New Bill Puts People's Health before Mountaintop Removal Permits
- posted by Melissa Waage, 6/20/12
- There is good news today in the fight to to protect Appalachian communities from the health effects ...