A Greener Biofuels Tax Credit
The Path to Better Biofuels
Next-generation biofuels have the potential to deliver better environmental performance -- reduced lifecycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and farming practices that result in cleaner water and healthier soils -- with less impact on food and feed prices. Market incentives are needed, however, to reward good conservation practices. These incentives will prevent growers from having to compete solely on the basis of low feedstock prices and forego potential improvements in the environmental performance of their farming systems. Congress should start by immediately ending the main corn ethanol tax credit -- the Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit (VEETC) -- which rewards volume without requiring measurable environmental performance. To jumpstart advanced biofuels, NRDC proposes a technology-neutral Greener Biofuels Tax Credit that rewards producers for creating biofuels that protect our climate and natural resources.
last revised 7/26/2012
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.