Green Jobs, Better Future
Investing in clean energy can help boost the U.S. economy and create millions of new jobs
Group Leader | Dayton, Ohio
Erica Owensby knew that her old job sorting uniforms at a clothing manufacturer was a dead-end gig.
“There was no room for advancement there,” she says. “I wanted to do something different, to move forward.”
So Owensby applied for a job as a machine operator at Cobasys, a company that makes hybrid batteries for cars. “I hadn’t heard about hybrid batteries before,” she says. “I thought it sounded cool.”
The work also gave her the career growth that she sought. Four years into the job, the native Daytonian moved up into a supervisory position as a group leader. She now trains new employees and helps make sure that the shop runs smoothly.
“Our jobs are the jobs of the future,” says Owensby, whose husband was recently laid off from his job making seats for GM cars. “A lot of companies have closed down, but we seem to be holding on. I thank God we’re still able to produce our batteries.”
last revised 3/24/2009
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.