Take action on the Bay Area's behalf -- and your own. Here are some ways you can help promote smart growth and protect open space.
- Support organizations working to protect open space and ensure responsible community planning, such as Greenbelt Alliance.
- Get involved in planning at the local and regional level. These planning efforts are key to sound land-use policies that protect open space and encourage compact, transit-oriented development in existing urban areas.
- When you move, look for compact neighborhoods, where good transit service and walkable streets cut driving substantially. You may then qualify for a Location Efficient MortgageSM, which makes more money available to people who purchase homes in dense neighborhoods where transit options are good.
- Tell your legislators you want more funds to go to public transit instead of highways. See NRDC's Earth Action Center for contact information for your representatives in Congress and the state legislature.
- You'll find lots more Bay Area green-living tips in our Green Gate Green Guides. And to keep informed and take action on the latest issues affecting the Bay Area and the rest of California, join NRDC's California Activist Network.