Take action on the Bay Area's behalf -- and your own. Here's how you can take advantage of public transit in our area.
- Use public transit or carpool as often as you can. The Bay Area has extensive local bus service, BART, CalTrain, and light rail; see the comprehensive website of the Bay Area Transit Information Project at www.transitinfo.org.
- Ask whether your employer participates in the Commuter Check program, which allows pretax dollars to be taken out of your paycheck toward the purchase of transit passes, reducing your transit costs. Some employers even provide free transit passes or Commuter Checks to employees who forgo parking in the company lot.
- When you move, look for compact neighborhoods, where good transit service and walkable streets cut driving substantially. You may then qualify for a Location Efficient Mortgage(SM), which makes more money available to people who purchase homes in dense neighborhoods where transit options are good.
- Tell your legislators you want more funds to go to public transit instead of highways. See NRDC's Earth Action Center for contact information for your representatives in Congress and the state legislature.
- Support organizations working to improve Bay Area transit, such as the Bay Area Transportation and Land Use Coalition.
- You'll find lots more Bay Area green-living tips in our Green Gate Green Guides. And to keep informed and take action on the latest issues affecting the Bay Area and the rest of California, join NRDC's California Activist Network.
Location Efficient MortgageSM is a registered service mark of the Institute for Location Efficiency.