Our Work in the Gulf
NRDC's work in the Gulf of Mexico region dates back to Hurricane Katrina. When the storm hit in 2005, our scientists and lawyers worked closely with the hardest-hit communities around New Orleans to advocate for stronger health protections and to help residents safely clean up their homes and neighborhoods. In the wake of the BP oil disaster we remain committed to helping the rich ecological, cultural, and economic center of the Gulf fully recover.
Whether you are a local resident with a story to tell, an organization wishing for assistance with your communications plan, or a journalist seeking to add a new element to the media's coverage of the spill and its impacts, please reach out to us. We are here to work with you to make sure that neither the stories of this disaster nor the lessons we can learn from it are lost.
NRDC Photos from the Gulf on Flickr
Follow What's Happening in the Gulf
More about the Gulf from...
- Stories from the Gulf: NRDC has partnered with StoryCorps and Bridge the Gulf to record, share, and preserve the stories and experiences of those living through the BP oil disaster.
- NRDC's Gulf Spill Coverage
- NRDC on the Ground: Video and Photos
- Go Below the Surface of the Gulf Oil Disaster: An interactive guide to the spill's effects on the ecosystem
- Tracking Oil Washing Ashore on Beaches: Our map of beach closures, advisories, and notifications related to the oil spill
- Rebuilding New Orleans: Health effects in the aftermath of Katrina
- New Orleans Environmental Quality Test Results
NRDC's staff blog
- Three Years Later: Act on the Lessons of BP Disaster
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 4/17/13
- This Saturday marks the third anniversary of the BP blowout that killed 11 men aboard the Deepwater ...
- Lubchenco Has Championed Science and Ocean Restoration at NOAA
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 1/7/13
- The United States used to be a laggard in managing ocean fisheries. Popular and valuable fish got pushed ...
- On the Carbon Pollution Front Lines, There's No Normal Anymore
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 1/1/13
- As Congress stumbles through an embarrassing year-end game of fiscal brinkmanship, the world continues ...
- How Does the FDA Know What Is Safe to Eat or Buy If It Doesn't Define Safe?
- posted by Peter Lehner, 12/19/12
- More than 90 percent of Americans carry residues of the chemical BPA in our bodies, according to the ...
- Big Ag’s Drought Bonus, Soaring Solar, Wildfire Warning
- posted by The Editors, 5/2/13
- Our top picks: the best environmental news and #greenreads from around the web.
- When Trees Attack, Orca Vs. Sperm Whale (in Pictures), the Quiet Car Gets Rowdy ... and No One Says Shush
- posted by The Editors, 4/26/13
- Our top picks: today's best environmental news and #greenreads from around the web.
- Are We Ignoring the Most Important Science About the Gulf Spill?
- posted by Rachel Nuwer, 4/22/13
- There’s no way to link the Deepwater Horizon blowout to dolphin deaths, mutated animals, and other strange ...