Green Eating Guide
Tips for making healthy food choices for you and the planet
Buy Organic and Certified
Conventional agriculture, which is often dependent on the intensive use of synthetic chemicals such as fertilizer and pesticides, can have a negative impact on air, water and soil quality. Many widely used pesticides have been linked to an increased risk of cancer and reproductive problems.
But there are alternatives to conventional agriculture. Innovative farmers from coast to coast have adopted more sustainable farming systems, reducing the need for synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. By shopping for organic or other sustainably certified foods, you can support their efforts.
The USDA Organic label ensures that a product is not grown with synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, while a variety of other eco-label certifications help consumers choose food grown to address other sustainability concerns.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Antibiotics 2.0: Re-inventing antibiotic therapies using yesterday's antibiotics for human medicine
- posted by Carmen Cordova, 9/16/15
- Subway's Saga Continues: World's Largest Chain Gets "F" for Antibiotics & Meat
- posted by David Wallinga, MD, 9/15/15
- California bill leads nation with significant steps to limit antibiotic overuse in meat production
- posted by Avinash Kar, 9/15/15