Green Eating Guide
Tips for making healthy food choices for you and the planet
Watch Your Waste
According to a recent study, the average American household wastes 14 percent of its food purchases. But it's not just the food that is being wasted -- all of the water and energy that went into producing, packaging and transporting the discarded food also goes to waste.
Most of this food waste ends up in landfills, where it releases methane pollution as it decomposes, further contributing to global warming.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Purchase only the amount of food that you are able to consume before it expires.
- Compost your food waste. Get tips from NRDC's Simple Steps.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- China Environmental News Alert - September 12, 2014
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 9/12/14
- Reading, Writing, and ...Toxic Pesticides?
- posted by Miriam Rotkin-Ellman, 8/27/14
- Let's Keep Florida Breathable
- posted by Pamela Rivera, 8/25/14