Renewable Energy in Chile: Assessing the Levelised Cost of Energy (LCOE)
Chile is in the middle of an important national debate about its energy future. Concerns about lack of a secure energy supply, volatile prices, and the environmental and health risks related to fossil fuels and nuclear energy are front and center for citizens, government, business, and industry. The overarching question is: what should be the focus of a new energy policy to increase energy security and independence and support future growth and development? To help answer this question, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) commissioned an assessment of the comparative costs of a wide range of generation technologies in the Chilean power sector. The main conclusion is that Chile's traditional energy choices are not necessarily the most secure or affordable options for the future. Chile can meet its demand in the coming decades through a variety of "non-conventional renewable energy" (NCRE) sources and energy efficiency technologies supplementing its existing generation base.
Fact Sheet: Chile's Clean Energy Future
Biomass, biogas, geothermal, small hydro, and wind are affordable energy choices now, and solar is not far behind.
NRDC Document Bank: Bloomberg New Energy Finance – Chile Levelised Cost of Energy presented to NRDC
A presentation by Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF), commissioned by NRDC and using Chilean data provided by Valgesta Energía (Valgesta), which evaluates the "levelised cost of energy" (LCOE) and then compares the costs of a wide range of power generation technologies in Chile on an "apples to apples" basis.
NRDC Document Bank: Breaking Down the Myths: The True Cost of Energy and the Future of Renewable Energy in Chile
A white paper summarizing NRDC's findings about demand growth and the true cost of energy in Chile.
last revised 7/5/2012
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Toxic Trade: The Global Metallic Mercury Market
- It will take an international solution to curb the world's mercury pollution problem -- and the United States should lead the way.
- China's Budding Environmental Movement
- Attorney Alex Wang talks about what it's like to be in on the ground level of a new environmental movement.
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.