An Uneven Shield
The Record of Enforcement and Violations Under California's Environmental, Health and Workplace Safety Laws
California leads the nation in setting standards to protect the health of families, communities and the environment. Yet too little is publicly known about how effectively these standards are enforced, or how officials respond when violations occur. This October 2008 report examines data on known violations and law enforcement responses under six critical pollution, health and workplace safety programs, and finds that enforcement of California's environmental and health laws varies widely across the state.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Introduction and Overview
Chapter 2: Known Violations
Chapter 3: California Authorities' Enforcement Record
Chapter 4: Data Limitations
Chapter 5: Cal/EPA's Enforcement Initiative
Chapter 6: Conclusions and Recommendations
Appendix 1: Case Studies
Appendix 2: Data Report
last revised 10/7/2008
Get Updates and Alerts
- Senate Energy Bill Makes Important Steps Forward But Still Has Problems
- posted by Marc Boom, 1/28/16
- House bill would cripple EPA's authority under the Clean Water Act and clear the Pebble Mine for approval
- posted by Taryn Kiekow Heimer, 12/14/15
- Merkley Legislation Aligns Federal Lands Management with Climate-Safe Future
- posted by Franz Matzner, 11/4/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.