Smarter Living: Recipes
Apple and Leek Hash
This sweet filling hash will make the perfect accompaniment for your next dinner!
- 2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 4 leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 Tbsps butter
- 1/4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the leeks, shallots, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the apple and butter and cook until the apple begins to color, then add the cider and rice wine vinegars.
4. Allow the vinegars to bubble away then add the apple cider and mustard seeds.
5. Salt and pepper the mixture then reduce the heat and gently simmer until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes.
7. Serve warm.
last revised 8/9/2011