Smarter Living: Recipes
Beet and Cranberry Relish
Photo: tiny banquet committee/Flickr
Peter Hoffman—chef, local food expert and owner of New York's Savoy and Back Forty restaurants—has graciously provided this recipe as a side for a Thanksgiving feast.
- 1 lb cranberry
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 tbsp ginger root chopped fine
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 orange zested and juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 cup roasted beets diced
- ½ cup raisins wine soaked
- Fine dice the red onion.
- Put in a sauce pot with the cranberries, garlic, ginger and the wine and vinegar.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the cranberries are soft and some but not all have broken down. Cool.
- Add the cut beets the zest, raisins and sugar.
- Taste for balance and add salt for sure.
last revised 8/9/2011