Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
Curried Sweet Potato and Tempeh Stew
Try this rich, flavorful stew for your next dinner entrée!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 Tbsps curry powder
- 4 leeks, white part only, washed and cut into half moons
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 â€“inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable or organic chicken stock
- 1 8-ounce block soy tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 ounces spinach leaves
- 1/4 to a 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed pot, add curry powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add leeks, sweet potatoes, garlic, salt and stock and cook for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add tempeh and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove from heat, and add coconut milk to taste, adjust seasonings and serve.
last revised 8/10/2011