Smarter Living: Recipes
Fish Tacos with Grilled Corn, Cilantro and Mango Salsa
Photo: Tower Girl/Flickr
Impress friends and family with this fresh, fruity and delectable fish taco recipe. The warm grilled (and low-cal) white fish is delicious paired with the crunchy onion and cabbage topped with sweet mango salsa. Perfect for a hot summer day, this simple combo is scrumptious as is or with your own favorite fixings.
- 1 pound white flaky fish, such as halibut or pollock
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, chopped finely
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 ears of corn; make sure it’s fresh by checking that the husks are bright green and fit snugly around the ear of corn. Peel the husk back and remove the silk underneath then recover the corn with the husks.
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- White cabbage, shredded
- Mango salsa
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Lime, quartered
- Coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place fish in a medium-size dish. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, chili powder, jalapeno, and cilantro and pour over the fish. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the rest of the taco fixings: chopping the onions, cilantro and cabbage.
- Soak the ears corn for five minutes in water (to avoid the husks from burning).
- Remove the fish from the marinade and place onto a hot grill, flesh-side down.
- Grill the fish for four minutes on the first side and then flip for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for five minutes then flake the fish with a fork.
- As the fish is resting, grill the ears of corn for three minutes on each side (six total) with the husks on. Remove from the grill, take off the husks and grill again for five minutes total, turning regularly until brown. Remove and sprinkle with salt and lime juice.
- Place the tortillas on the grill for ten seconds on each side.
- Cut corn off the cobs and use as a garnish or serve on the cob alongside the tacos.
- Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes. Serve immediately with a wedge of lime.
last revised 8/9/2011