Smarter Living: Recipes
Fresh Beet and Carrot Salad with Mint
Quick, Healthy Lunchtime Recipe
This is a simple, tasty dish for a hot summers day when you need something light and quick for lunch and don't want to waste time turning on the oven or stove to cook the ingredients. It's perfect piled on toasted whole wheat pita that is spread with a layer of your favorite humus.
Photo: knitting iris/Flickr>
- 1 bunch beets, grated
- 8 small baby carrots or 3 large carrots, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt (coarse kosher salt is best), to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- two pita pockets
- 2 Tbsp humus
- Remove the leaves from the beets and store for use in another dish. Wash the beets and carrots, and cut off the root and stem ends. (You do not need to peel the beets or carrots if you are using young vegetables.)
- Using a box grater, grate the beets and carrots into a medium bowl.
- Add the fresh mint and lime juice to the bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer a portion of salad to a reusable container and add a few dollops of humus alongside the salad. Pack a seperate container with pita. At lunchtime, toast your pita and spread with a layer of humus. Pile the salad on top for a delicious open-faced sandwich.
last revised 4/19/2011