Smarter Living: Recipes
This recipe was provided by Will Allen, founder and CEO of the Growing Power National Training and Community Food Center in Milwaukee. Feeding an estimated 10,000 people from urban farms in Wisconsin and Illinois, Growing Power combines aquaculture and agriculture to provide fish and fresh vegetables to communities living in urban food deserts.
- 1 whole 1- to 1½- pound tilapia per person (lake perch can be substituted)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Flour (and/or bread crumbs)
- Canola oil
- Scale and clean fish.
- Mix 6 eggs with milk in a large bowl.
- Soak fish in egg-and-milk mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal and flour in equal portions (for extra crispiness, you can use bread crumbs and flour—or all three).
- Roll fish in cornmeal-flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Heat ½ inch canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Fry fish over medium heat for 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side).
Serves 2 to 6; can be accompanied by Stir-Fried Collard Greens.
last revised 8/9/2011