Smarter Living: Recipes
Grilled Endive Salad with Golden Raisins
This light salad makes the perfect vegetarian summer dish.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- Several grinds black pepper, to taste
- 2 Belgian endives, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups loosely packed torn red lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Place a single layer of pine nuts in a small cast-iron skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Shake the pan frequently. (The nuts will become slightly golden and emit a nutty aroma.) Remove the nuts from the pan and set aside until needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and black pepper. Set aside the dressing.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. Use a pastry brush to brush both sides of the endive with some of the olive oil. Place the endive on the grill, cut sides down. Cook for about 2 minutes, baste with some more of the oil, and turn with tongs. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes. (The endive will wilt slightly and develop grill marks.) Remove the endive from the grill.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Toss to combine. Distribute between 4 salad plates. Place one grilled endive half atop the lettuce on each plate. Sprinkle with equal amounts of raisins and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 side-dish servings.
last revised 8/10/2011