Smarter Living: Recipes
Grilled Shrimp with Scallops and Jalapeños
Toss these fresh, local ingredients on the grill, and it's sure to be a hit at your next summer barbeque! This recipe was provided by Dennis McBride, who recommends trying it over garlicky long-grain brown rice pilaf for a delicious and well-rounded meal.
- 1 pound wild-caught or organic shrimp, peeled, with tail intact
- 1/2 pound scallops, rinsed and cleaned
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges4 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half and seeded (leave the stem on)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lime juice, oil, garlic, mustard, paprika and cardamom in a medium size bowl.
- Toss in the shrimp and scallops and allow to marinate for at least one hour.
- Thread onto skewers with onion wedges and jalapenos and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on one side, turn over and grill for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and serve with lime wedges.
last revised 8/10/2011