Smarter Living: Recipes
Open-faced Sandwich with Creamy Tofu Chickpea Spread, Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
Quick, Healthy Lunchtime Recipe
Here's a scrumptious way to enjoy the color and sweetness of heirloom tomatoes while impressing your friends. College student or wage slave, we can all use quick lunch-for-one ideas that are easy on your waistline and your wallet. Feel free to play around with the ingredients depending on your preferences and/or whatever you have in the fridge.
Whether you're going to work, college, school or traveling this simple lunchtime recipe is easy to swiftly assemble and transport in reusable containers. Glass containers are best, though I also like to reuse other food containers, such as plastic yogurt, humus and butter containers or even large glass sauce jars. While there's no problem reusing glass containers for all purposes, be sure not to put plastic containers in the dishwasher or microwave (or heat them in any way).
Prep time: 10 mins. – Calories: 600 – Cost: $8
Photo: Alice Henly
Tofu Chickpea Spread Ingredients:
- 3 ounces firm tofu (1/2 package), drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 3 heirloom mini tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup mixed herbs (whatever fresh herbs you have around: basil, chives, parsley, cilantro), chopped
- salt and pepper (Coarse salt and cracked pepper is best)
- Puree tofu, chickpeas, oils and lemon juice in a blender until smooth then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small container along with the slices of tomato and herbs. Pack bread in a separate container.
- At lunchtime spread onto toasted bread then top with slices of tomato and herbs.
last revised 4/19/2011