Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
Herbed Posole Salad with Dried Cranberries
Enjoy the spicy and savory flavors of summer with an accent on native american ingredients!
- 1-1/2 cups dried white posole
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head leaf lettuce
- Combine the posole, cumin and water in a large pot over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the kernels are soft and start to burst.
- Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes more.
- When the posole is soft, drain well, reserving liquid for another use, if desired. Let the posole cool to room temperature.
- Combine the posole, bell pepper, chives, cilantro, cranberries, vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Separate the lettuce. Wash and dry well. Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter.
- Mound salad in the center and serve immediately.
last revised 8/9/2011