Smarter Living: Recipes
Herbed Posole Salad with Dried Cranberries
Enjoy the spicy and savory flavors of summer with an accent on native american ingredients!
- 1-1/2 cups dried white posole
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head leaf lettuce
- Combine the posole, cumin and water in a large pot over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the kernels are soft and start to burst.
- Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes more.
- When the posole is soft, drain well, reserving liquid for another use, if desired. Let the posole cool to room temperature.
- Combine the posole, bell pepper, chives, cilantro, cranberries, vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Separate the lettuce. Wash and dry well. Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter.
- Mound salad in the center and serve immediately.
last revised 8/9/2011