Smarter Living: Recipes
Homemade Apple Sauce
Instead of the sugary apple sauce you find in stores, feed your kids this fresh, simple recipe as an afternoon snack!
Yields 1 quart
- 4 lbs apples
- sugar (optional)
- lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel and core the apples and dice them.
- Place the apples in a heavy bottomed pot with 2 Tbsp water and the cinnamon stick and cover.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the apples are soft and falling apart. Do not allow the apples to burn, if the mixture becomes dry, add a small amount of water.
- When the apples are soft, taste and add sugar and lemon juice if desired. The sauce can be cooked until completely broken down, or can be served chunky.
- When the sauce has reached the desired consistency, remove it to a bowl and allow it to cool.
last revised 8/9/2011