Smarter Living: Recipes
Joan's Kale and Potato Soup
This hearty winter recipe was adapted from Joan Gussow's This Organic Life (Chelsea Green, 2001, $22.95). Serves 4-6
- 4 cups finely cut kale leaves
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, diced
- 3-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chile flakes
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups water or stock
- 2 cups cooked kidney, pinto or brown beans
- Steam kale in a large kettle until wilted and bright green; set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in soup pot. Add onion, garlic, chile flakes and bay leaves and sauté until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add potatoes and water, bring to a boil and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Rechop kale and add with beans; boil 6-8 minutes.
last revised 8/9/2011