Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
Joan's Kale and Potato Soup
This hearty winter recipe was adapted from Joan Gussow's This Organic Life (Chelsea Green, 2001, $22.95). Serves 4-6
- 4 cups finely cut kale leaves
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, diced
- 3-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chile flakes
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups water or stock
- 2 cups cooked kidney, pinto or brown beans
- Steam kale in a large kettle until wilted and bright green; set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in soup pot. Add onion, garlic, chile flakes and bay leaves and sauté until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add potatoes and water, bring to a boil and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Rechop kale and add with beans; boil 6-8 minutes.
last revised 8/9/2011