Smarter Living: Recipes
Mixed Jicama Salad
photo: Chiva Congelado/Flickr
The juicy snap of jicama paired with lemon, apples, and green pepper will cool you down when the temperatures rise!
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 jicama (about 1 pound), peeled and shredded
- 4 small pickling cucumbers (like Kirby), cut into matchsticks
- 2 medium-size green bell peppers, seeded and cut into long thin strips
- 2 medium-size apples, peeled, cored, and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 fresh mint leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To assemble the salad, in a large salad bowl, combine the jicama, cucumbers, peppers, apples and lemon juice.
- Toss gently to combine, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until ready to serve. Just before serving, add the mint.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a measuring cup or small bowl until thickened, and pour over the salad.
- Toss lightly, making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.
last revised 8/10/2011