Smarter Living: Recipes
Organic Arugula Fava Bean Bruschetta
The pairing of these classic Italian ingredients, arugula, fava beans, and Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese makes this delicious bruschetta recipe a springtime treat!
To make this an easy recipe, look for shelled fava beans at your local farmers market (if you can't find fava-beans or they are out of season, you can substitute edamame).
- 1 baguette cut on the bias (diagonal) into slices
- ½ cup of Olive Oil
- 4 garlic cloves (smashed skins removed)
- ½ cup of basil
- salt & pepper
- 2 pounds fava beans (unshelled weight)
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and minced
- ¼ cup of dry wine (chardonnay)
- 3 tablespoons of pecorino or parmigianino cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
Shaved pecorino or parmigiano for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- In pan, heat ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil. Add garlic gloves and basil. Sautee for approximately 30 seconds or until garlic starts giving off its aroma. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Pour contents into a measuring cup.
- Place cut pieces of bread onto a baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, dab the "flavored olive oil" onto each piece of bread. Toast in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile if fava beans are not shelled, remove beans from pods. Next place fava beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes (until just tender). Drain and place in an ice water bath to stop cooking. To remove skin from beans, gently pinch end with finger and thumb to break the skin and push out the bean. (If you have kids, this is a great job for them!)
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium sized pan, add chopped garlic (be careful not to cook too high or too long as garlic can turn brown and become bitter), fava-beans, dry wine and stir. Cook over low heat for about 8-10 minutes until beans are soft and flavors are combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, puree fava-bean mixture in a food processor or blender. Remove half of the puree to a large bowl. Add to the processor with remaining fava-bean puree, a ½ cup of arugula, Parmigiano or pecorino cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and add to bowl. Roughly chop remaining cup of arugula and stir into fava-bean mixture.
- Spoon fava-bean mixture onto each piece of toast and garnish with shaved piece of parmigiano.
The video and this recipe have been provided courtesy of Organic Authority - Organic Food, Eco Friendly, Food Recipes.
last revised 8/10/2011