Smarter Living: Recipes
Orzo with Mustard Greens
- 1 lb. mustard greens, baby spinach, or arugula
- 1 lemon, preferably organic
- 1-1/2 cups orzo
- 1/4 lb. Asiago cheese, for serving
- Black pepper
- Unsalted butter
- Chef’s knife
- Large stockpot or pasta pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Salad spinner
- Zester or Microplane
When you walk in the door:
1. Fill the pasta pot 2/3 with water, add 2 tbsps. salt and put over high heat
2. Get out Pantry Items
3. Get out Tools
4. Assemble the ingredients
5. Open the wine
1. Rinse and spin dry the greens. Coarsely chop them.
2. Zest the lemon.
3. Grate the cheese.
4. Measure 2 tbsps. unsalted butter
1. When the water comes to a boil, stir in the orzo and cook until al dente, 7-12 minutes.
2. Set the table and pour yourself a glass of wine.
3. When the orzo is al dente, drain it, saving some of the cooking water.
4. Transfer the orzo to a bowl and toss it with the 2 tbsps. butter.
5. Add the greens and the lemon zest and toss until the greens are wilted. If the pasta is dry, add some cooking water, 1 tbsp. at a time. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the pasta with the grated cheese alongside.
last revised 8/9/2011