Smarter Living: Recipes
The following recipe was graciously provided by Alexandra Jamieson. A graduate of New York's Natural Gourmet Cookery School, Jamieson has worked in Italy, creating seasonal and vegan menus; as a pastry chef at New York's Other Foods; and as the vegetarian chef at Paul Newman's Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. A holistic health counselor and personal chef, Jamieson also caters parties. For more information, visit her Web site at www.healthychefalex.com.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut in medium dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh popped popcorn
- Heat a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and thyme and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the potatoes, 1 cup at a time. Bring to a low simmer and stir in the lemon juice.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls, garnished with popcorn.
last revised 8/9/2011