Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
photo: Marylise Doctrinal/Flickr
This classic French recipe is unbeatably healthy and incredibly simple to make!
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 bell peppers
- 1-2 zucchini
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- Dice the garlic, onion, eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini and tomatoes.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pot, add the diced vegetables (except for the tomatoes) plus salt and black pepper to taste and about 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft (should take around 20 minutes).
- Then add 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste and the diced tomatoes and cook covered for another 10 minutes or so.
- Serve over whole grain pasta and garnish with a spoonful of goat cheese.
last revised 8/9/2011