Smarter Living: Recipes
Steve Brill kindly shared this recipe with Smarter Living. For more recipes and information about foraging, see his Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants (HarperCollins, 1994) and The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook (Harvard Commons, 2002).
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons agar flakes
- half teaspoon sassafrass root cambium (the outer layer of the wood)
- Half teaspoon of clear, liquid stevia
- Teaspoon each of freshly grated orange and vanilla extract
- Simmer everything together for 20 minutes, then chill in mold. The liquid has a unique vanilla, orange rootbeer flavor.
- When you’ve finished simmering it, put a teaspoon in a freezer for minute. If it’s too solid add more water, if too thin add more agar, and simmer until agar is dissolved.
- You can also adjust the sweetness to taste.
last revised 8/9/2011