Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
Savory Winter Squash Soufflé
This light and toothsome soufflé makes for a warming meal on chilly days.
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1-1/2 lbs. squash or sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Butter a 1-1/2-quart soufflé dish, dust with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter until translucent.
- Add flour and stir constantly for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in fontina, mashed squash and egg yolks until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to form stiff peaks. Gently fold into the squash mixture.
- Pour into soufflé dish, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Serve immediately.
last revised 8/9/2011