Smarter Living: Recipes
Savory Winter Squash Soufflé
This light and toothsome soufflé makes for a warming meal on chilly days.
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1-1/2 lbs. squash or sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Butter a 1-1/2-quart soufflé dish, dust with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter until translucent.
- Add flour and stir constantly for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in fontina, mashed squash and egg yolks until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to form stiff peaks. Gently fold into the squash mixture.
- Pour into soufflé dish, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Serve immediately.
last revised 8/9/2011