Smarter Living: Recipes
St. Fiacre Salad
Fennel adds zip to this summer salad favorite!
Makes 6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups string beans, ends trimmed off, cooked in boiling water until crisp tender, and \drained
- 2 fennel bulbs, stalks discarded and bulbs thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 medium-size ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into long, thin strips
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Leaves from 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish
- To assemble the salad, combine the string beans, fennel, tomatoes, avocados, onion and peppers in a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice and toss lightly.
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together in a measuring cup or small bowl until thickened.
- Add more oil or vinegar if needed.
- Pour over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve immediately.
last revised 8/10/2011