Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
St. Fiacre Salad
Fennel adds zip to this summer salad favorite!
Makes 6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups string beans, ends trimmed off, cooked in boiling water until crisp tender, and \drained
- 2 fennel bulbs, stalks discarded and bulbs thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 medium-size ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into long, thin strips
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Leaves from 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish
- To assemble the salad, combine the string beans, fennel, tomatoes, avocados, onion and peppers in a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice and toss lightly.
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together in a measuring cup or small bowl until thickened.
- Add more oil or vinegar if needed.
- Pour over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve immediately.
last revised 8/10/2011