Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
photo: happy sleepy/Flickr
If you're baffled by eggplants, try this flavorful and nutritious recipe!
- 2 large eggplants split length wise in sixths (leave the skin on)
- 1 large eggplant, skinned and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Salt the eggplants and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the garlic and the onion and sauté in olive oil.
- Add the lamb and stir breaking up the bits of meat.
- Once the meat is cooked add the eggplant cubes and the tomatoes.
- Cover and allow the vegetables to soften. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile brush the eggplant lengths with olive oil and bake them in a 300 oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove and allow it to cool. The slippers should have flattened out a bit.
- Spoon the cooked mixture on top of the baked slices. Garnish with a generous sprinkling of pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Reheat for serving in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes. Reserve at least 2 for lunch the following day.
last revised 8/9/2011