Smarter Living: Recipes
photo: happy sleepy/Flickr
If you're baffled by eggplants, try this flavorful and nutritious recipe!
- 2 large eggplants split length wise in sixths (leave the skin on)
- 1 large eggplant, skinned and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Salt the eggplants and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the garlic and the onion and sauté in olive oil.
- Add the lamb and stir breaking up the bits of meat.
- Once the meat is cooked add the eggplant cubes and the tomatoes.
- Cover and allow the vegetables to soften. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile brush the eggplant lengths with olive oil and bake them in a 300 oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove and allow it to cool. The slippers should have flattened out a bit.
- Spoon the cooked mixture on top of the baked slices. Garnish with a generous sprinkling of pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Reheat for serving in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes. Reserve at least 2 for lunch the following day.
last revised 8/9/2011