Energy Smackdown Take our 12-step program to lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Check it out now!
Eat Local Check out the fresh foods in season, try new recipes and find your closest farmers market.
Chemical Index Wondering if the bug spray under the sink is safe? Check up on toxic chemicals in our searchable database.
Smarter Living: Recipes
Warm Quinoa With Smoked Bacon and Almonds
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 oz. smoked bacon, sliced and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 ea shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives and parsley, chopped
- White pepper, ground
- Rinse quinoa well through strainer until water runs clear. Reserve in strainer.
- Heat oil in medium pot and add bacon.
- Cook bacon, stirring constantly, until it renders its fat, about 2 minutes.
- Add diced shallots and stir over medium heat for 1 minute, until shallots soften but don't color.
- Add rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, salt and sage. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a low simmer and place a piece of parchment paper over surface of quinoa. Cook gently for 17 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Let rest 5 minutes, then discard sage and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Stir in almonds and fresh chopped herbs.
- Season with white pepper and additional salt to taste. Serve warm with meat and vegetables.
last revised 8/9/2011