Smarter Living: Recipes
Warm Roasted Beet and Portobello Salad
This hearty salad can be enjoyed as an appetizer or an entrée!
- 3 medium beets
- 3 Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3.5 ounces goat cheese
- 10 ounces arugula or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup picked parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 shallots, sliced into thin rounds
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Scrub the beets and place on a large sheet of foil, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fold the sides up to make a sealed pouch.
- Wipe off the mushroom caps, place them on another large sheet of foil, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and fold the sides up to make a sealed pouch. Place both pouches in the oven.
- Bake the mushrooms for approximately 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Bake the beets for approximately 45 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard and olive oil and set aside.
- When the beets and mushrooms are fully cooked, remove from the oven. Slice the mushrooms into strips.
- With a knife, remove the tops of the beets, slide the skins off with your hands. Slice the beets and toss with the warm mushrooms and goat cheese, cover with foil so they stay warm until you serve them.
- In a salad bowl, toss together the arugula, walnuts, shallots, parsley and dressing.
- Place onto plates and top with the beet and mushroom mixture. and top with the beet and mushroom mixture.
last revised 8/10/2011