Smarter Living: Recipes
Watermelon, Mint and Feta Salad
Quick, Healthy Lunchtime Recipe
The unusual combination of watermelon and feta cheese makes this refreshing salad the perfect mixture of sweet and savory! Thanks to Linda Marie Libby, Executive Chef of the Porterhouse in West Seattle for this delicious recipe.
For the quick lunch version: Prep time: 3 mins. – Calories: 250 – Cost: $4
Photo: Greg Luke Smith
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 2 oz crumbled feta
- 1 handful of mint, finely chopped
- 2 cups of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- Remove the rind from the melon, and cut into large pieces each ¼ inch thick. Cut pieces into sticks.
- Stack melon sticks criss-cross on the plates and sprinkle the crumbled feta and the mint over the melon.
- To make balsamic glaze, pour the vinegar into a saucepan and simmer on medium heat until steam rises. Reduce heat to low and let the vinegar reduce slowly for 2-3 hours, or until the liquid has become a syrupy glaze. Two cups will reduce down to roughly ½ a cup.
- To toast pine nuts, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange pine nuts in an even and thin layer. Bake, turning frequently, until nuts are an even light brown (roughly 6-8 minutes).
- Drizzle balsamic glaze all over and top with toasted pine nuts.
Note: for a quick lunch on the go, cube the watermelon into small pieces and place in a reusable container. Sprinkle the feta, mint, and untoasted pine nuts on top. Drizzle with standard balsamic vinegar.
last revised 4/19/2011