Environmental News: Media Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Hollywood (February 22, 2008) – Building upon work initiated a year ago, Academy President Sid Ganis announced today that ecologically intelligent practices have once again been incorporated into the planning and execution of the upcoming 80th Annual Academy Awards presentation on Sunday and related events.
The Academy’s green initiative, which includes several energy-saving strategies, is being carried out in collaboration with the Natural Resources Defense Council, a non-partisan environmental and advocacy organization.
“Last year, in planning and producing the Oscar® show, we chose supplies, resources and services designed to reduce Oscar’s ecological footprint,” said Ganis. “This year, with the guidance and support of the NRDC, we’ve been able to do even more.”
A few highlights of the Academy’s green program include:
- With support from the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, 100% of the energy used for the telecast, the red-carpet arrivals show and the Governors Ball will be supplied by renewable wind power.
- All of the generators used for the production, for press support and the red carpet arrivals area are powered by a fuel mix that includes biodiesel.
- The majority of vehicles made available by General Motors for use by production staff and presenters are zero-emission hydrogen-powered cars and hybrids.
- Nearly all food service ware for all events associated with the Awards Presentation is either reusable or biodegradable/compostable.
- The programs, invitations, RSVP cards, envelopes, parking passes and other printed materials include a minimum of 30% postconsumer recycled content.
For further information about this initiative visit Oscar.com.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2007 will be presented on Sunday, February 24, 2008, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and televised live by the ABC Television Network at 5 p.m. PT. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.