Environmental News: Media Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press contact: Erin Allweiss, NRDC, (202) 513-6254
If you are not a member of the press, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or see our contact page
NRDC: House Passes Economic Recovery Package, Makes Down Payment on Clean Energy Economy
WASHINGTON (January 28, 2009) –Wesley Warren, Director of Programs for the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), issued the following statement in response to the passage of the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009”:
“The House is getting on board with moving America to a clean energy economy. President Obama and Congress are investing in solutions that will help solve our economic and energy challenges together. By repowering our nation with clean energy, we will create millions of jobs that can’t be sent overseas. By harnessing the energy of the sun and wind, we can refuel our nation and end our addiction to oil.
“The economic recovery package funds vital programs to improve the efficiency of our homes, buildings and federal offices. It also includes urgently needed grants for companies to invest in renewable energy technologies. The funding to repair our nation’s crumbling water and transportation systems will immediately create jobs and strengthen our nation’s roads, bridges, and pipes.
“As the bill moves to the Senate, we will support positive changes to improve funding that will set us on a course to a clean energy future.”
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides:
- $3.4 billion for states for clean energy projects
- A grants program for renewable energy technologies covered by the renewable energy tax incentives
- $6.2 billion for weatherization of low income homes
- $3.5 billion for the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program (supports clean energy projects primarily at the city and county levels)
- $2 billion for clean energy research & development
- $6 billion for increasing energy efficiency in federal buildings
- $12 billion for transit (an amendment by Rep. Nadler (D-NY) increased transit funding from $9 to $12 billion)
- $2 billion for ready-to-go drinking water infrastructure projects
- $6 billion for ready-to-go sanitation infrastructure projects
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 2 million members and online activists. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world's natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC has offices in New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Bozeman, MT, and Beijing. Visit us at www.nrdc.org and follow us on Twitter @NRDC.