Environmental News: Media Center
New York, NY (March 30, 2009) – The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) today will honor fashion designer Stella McCartney and Discovery Communications CEO David Zaslav for their outstanding environmental leadership in the fashion and media arenas at the 11th Annual “Forces for Nature” benefit. The event will take place this evening at 583 Park Avenue in New York City.
“We believe it is important to honor individuals who understand that environmental stewardship can and should play a role in the work they do and the products they produce,” said NRDC President Frances Beinecke. “Both Stella McCartney and David Zaslav demonstrate that you can be protectors of the environment and leaders of industry at the same time. Their trailblazing work in the environmental arena raises the bar, and we hope everyone in the media and fashion world will take note and follow their lead.”
McCartney is known for creating ethically responsible fashion designs and skincare products. She is proof that it is possible to combine ethics and luxury. To lower her impact on the environment, the designer and lifelong vegetarian challenges the fashion industry by not using leather or fur in her creations.
Under Zaslav’s leadership, Discovery Communications has created the first 24-hour network dedicated to celebrating and examining eco-friendly living. “Planet Green” supplements Discovery’s digital sites dedicated to the environment, including Treehugger.com and PlanetGreen.com
“It’s a real honor for me to receive this award from such a worthy organization like the NRDC fighting to preserve our planet's future,” said fashion designer Stella McCartney.
“The response that Planet Green has received from viewers demonstrates that you can create programming that is both entertaining and educational,” said Discovery Communications CEO David Zaslav. “We are proud that NRDC recognizes our work in helping people learn how to protect the environment in small and big ways.”
The gala event celebrates those who have made significant contributions to environmental causes in their respective industries. In years past, NRDC has honored such notables as Mayor Michael Bloomberg, actor Robert Redford, Chef Alice Waters, producer Laurie David and former NRDC President John Adams.
Each year, the NRDC strives to make the event as green as possible. In keeping with that traditional the NRDC has taken the following steps:
- The menu features seasonal, organically-grown and sustainably harvested ingredients and follows the “within 100-mile diet” philosophy.
- The wine for the event was donated by the award-winning Lapostolle Winery, an organic and bio-dynamic winery.
- 100% Forest Stewardship Council-certified recycled paper that was processed chlorine-free using 100% wind power and vegetable-based inks was used for the invitations and evening’s programs.
- The daffodils from the centerpieces will be donated to New Yorkers for Parks to support their Daffodil Project, which is a citywide effort to beautify every neighborhood in the city.
- No plastic bottled water will be served at the event.