Nuclear Weapons Simulation Research at American Universities
Matthew G. McKinzie
Thomas B. Cochran
Christopher E. Paine
NRDC would like to thank the W. Alton Jones Foundation, the HKH Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the John Merck Fund, the Ploughshares Fund, the Prospect Hill Foundation, and an anonymous donor for their generous support of the Nuclear Program. As with all of our work, publication of this report would not have been possible without the support of NRDC's 350,000 members.
The authors would like to acknowledge the information and insights regarding Caltech's Alliances Program shared by Joan Depew of Pasadena, California. We also thank the DOE, national laboratory, and university personnel who agreed to speak with us. We regret that it is still the case that any mention of their names in these acknowledgments could jeopardize their professional relationships or careers. Genuine "openness" and a truly free debate on the future of nuclear weapons unfortunately remain a distant goal in the DOE-sponsored nuclear research complex.
While the authors have devoted considerable time and effort to preparing this report, the limitations imposed on the analysis by the Department of Energy's restrictive public information policies, and by the rapidly evolving nature of both the DOE's Academic Strategic Alliances effort and its sponsoring program, the Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative, lead us to view the report as a work-in-progress.
The authors welcome and encourage comments, corrections, criticisms, and additional information from readers. Complete contact information is provided on the inside front cover.
Explosive Alliances : Nuclear Weapons Simulation Research at American Universities. By Matthew G. McKinzie, Thomas B. Cochran and Christopher E. Paine. January 1998. Print version, $10.00. Order print copies .
last revised 1/22/1998
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- China Environmental News Alert - September 26, 2014
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 9/26/14
- Feeling a Cold War Chill over Ukraine
- posted by Matthew McKinzie, 7/23/14
- China Environmental News Alert
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 6/22/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.