The Internet and the Bomb:
A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons
Table of Contents | Quick Guides | NRDC Nuclear Data | General Information | U.S. Executive Branch | U.S. Congress | International Governmental Organizations | Non-Govermental Organizations | Nuclear Weapons Issues
DOE Policy, Technical and Environmental Reports
DOE policy, technical and environmental reports relating to nuclear weapons and materials issues can be found through the various DOE technical reports' servers of headquarters, the national laboratories and the production complex (see Chapters One and Four), the Facility Profile Information Management System (FPIMS) located at http://www.fpims.doe.gov:81 and http://raleigh.dis.anl.gov:81/ or the DOE NEPA Web Site search page at http://tis-nt.eh.doe.gov/nepa/docs/docs.htm. Table 6 is also a listing of Los Alamos Laboratory reports and publications, most of which are accessible through the Los Alamos Library at http://lib-www.lanl.gov/
There is no concise guide to the various reports regularly issued by the DOE. Table 23 is our listing of the major document types, most of which are being made available online (see Appendix C for a listing of nuclear weapons-related Orders). The Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board Information Database (http://tis-nt.eh.doe.gov/deptrep/s31_cont.htm is a particularly good resource for reports. Ad hoc policy and management reports are listed here.
QUICK GUIDES TABLE 23
DOE Document Types
- Appraisals: Site specific environmental assessments, including Baseline Compliance Assessments, Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) Progress Assessments, Environmental Audits, Self-Assessments, and Oversight Assessments.
- Baseline Compliance Assessments: Basic environmental assessments of the conditions at DOE facilities.
- Baseline Environmental Management Report: DOE Office level annual assessment.
- Corrective Actions Plans: Environmental clean-up follow-ups to Baseline Assessments, including Environmental Audit Action Plans and Baseline Compliance Assessments Corrective Action Plans.
- Environmental Audits: Site specific Appraisal (also called Environmental Management Audits or Line Program Environmental Management Audits).
- Institutional Plans: Facility-level five-year time-frame reports of plans and activities.
- National Environmental Policy Act Reports: Environmental Impact Statements and Environmental Assessments related to new or proposed projects. The results are recorded as Records of Decision or Findings of No Significant Impact (FONSI).
- Plans: Non site specific five-year plans relating to program implementation. These include Action Plans (in response to Environmental Audits), Instituional Plans, Managment Plans, Programs Plans, and Strategic Plans.
- Progress Assessments: Regular reports dealing with the status of Corrective Action Plans.
- Strategic Goals/Plans: DOE Office and Facility-level articulations of long-terms goals and objectives.
- Tactical Goals: Facility-level annual descriptions of activities and objectives.
DOE-Level General Reports
- Baseline Environmental Management Report (BEMR), 1996
- Closing the Circle on the Splitting of the Atom: The Environmental Legacy of Nuclear Weapons Production in the United States and What the Department of Energy is Doing About It, 1995
- DOE 1996 Environmental Management Plan
- Maintaining Confidence in the Safety and Reliability of the Enduring U.S. Nuclear Weapon Stockpile, Office of Defense Programs, May 1995
- National Security Strategic Plan
- Office of Fissile Materials Disposition FY 95 Program Plan, October 1994
Separate files for Program Activities and Management and Coordination.
- Performance Agreement between The President of the United States William Jefferson Clinton and Secretary of Energy Hazel R. O'Leary, Fiscal Year 1995
- Reducing The Nuclear Danger, Inventory of U.S. Department of Energy Nonproliferation and Nuclear Threat Reduction Initiatives, October 1995
- Report of the External Members of the Department of Energy Laboratory Operations Board
- Secretary of Energy Advisory Board Task Force on Alternative Futures for the Department of Energy National Laboratories, February 1995 (Galvin Report)
Two files provide the full text of Volume 1, Alternative Futures for the Department of Energy National Laboratories; and Volume 2, White Papers Prepared by the Department of Energy for the Task Force.
- The Secretary's Initial Comments on the Galvin Report, Response by Secretary Hazel R. O'Leary to the Final Report of the Task Force on Alternative Futures for the Department of Energy National Laboratories, February 1995
- Strategic Laboratory Mission's Plan -- Phase 1, July 1996
- Strategic Plan - Storage and Disposition of Weapons-Usable Fissile Materials, September 1995
DOE-Level Environmental Assessment and Impact Statement Documents
- Record of Decision for the Storage and Disposition of Weapons-Usable Fissile Materials Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement, 14 January 1997
- Final Nonproliferation and Arms Control Assessment of Weapons-Usable Fissile Material Storage And Excess Plutonium Disposition Alternatives, 13 January 1997
- Storage and Disposition of Weapons-Usable Fissile Materials Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement Summary, December 1996
- The Technical Summary Report for Surplus Weapons-Usable Plutonium Disposition, Revision 1, October 1996
- The Proliferation Vulnerability Red Team, October 1996
- The Joint United States/Russian Plutonium Disposition Study, October 1996
- The Highly Enriched Uranium Disposition Plan, September 1996
- Record of Decision for the Disposition of Surplus Highly Enriched Uranium Final Environmental Impact Statement, July 1996
- The Technical Summary Report for Long-Term Storage of Weapons-Usable Fissile Materials, July 1996
- The Technical Summary Report for Surplus Weapons-Usable Plutonium Disposition, July 1996
- Disposition of Surplus Highly Enriched Uranium Environmental Impact Statement, June 1996
- Cost Comparison for Highly Enriched Uranium Disposition Alternatives, April 1996
- Storage and Disposition of Weapons-Usable Fissile Materials Draft Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement Summary, February 1996
- Stockpile Stewardship and Management Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS), 1996
- Record of Decision on Tritium Supply and Recycling, 6 December 1995
- Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement for Tritium Supply and Recycling, October 1995 (DOE/EIS-0161)
Executive Summary only.
- Dual Axis Radiographic Hydrodynamic Test (DARHT) Record of Decision, October 1995
- Draft Highly Enriched Uranium Environmental Impact Statement, October 1995
Separate files for Summary and Parts 1-4.
- Methodology Report for the Assessment of Potential Impacts Resulting From Alternatives Proposed in the Disposition of Surplus Highly Enriched Uranium, Environmental Impact Statement, August 1995
Separate files for each chapter.
- Disposition of Surplus Highly Enriched Uranium Environmental Impact Statement Implementation Plan, June 1995
Separate files for each chapter and appendices.
- Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact for the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium from the Republic of Kazakhstan, 25 May 1995
- Environmental Assessment for the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium from the Republic of Kazakhstan, 25 May 1995
Separate file for each Section and Appendices.
- Summary Report of Screening Process, 29 March 1995
Separate file for each chapter.
- Communicating With the Public on Nuclear Materials Disposition Issues: Scoping Process Report, 21 March 1995
- Proposed Interim Storage at the Y-12 Plant Oak Ridge, Tennessee of Highly Enriched Uranium Acquired from Kazakhstan by the United States, 6 March 1995
Separate file for each chapter and appendices
- Finding of No Significant Impact for the Interim Storage of Highly Enriched Uranium at the Y-12 Plant, Oak Ridge Tennessee Acquired From Kazakhstan by the United States, 6 March 1995
- Long-Term Storage and Disposition of Weapons-Usable Fissile Materials Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement Implementation Plan, March 1995
Separate file for each chapter and appendices.
- Plutonium Disposition Options Meeting Report, 13-14 December 1994 (6 February 1995)
Separate files for each Reactor and Non-Reactor Option Briefing and Breakout Session.
- Highly Enriched Uranium Disposition Options Meeting Comment Summary Report, 19 January 1995
- Interagency Working Group Plutonium Disposition Interim Report, 12 December 1994
- Scoping Meetings Comment Summary Report, 30 November 1994
Separate files for each regional Scoping Meeting.
- Reconfiguration of the Nuclear Weapons Complex, October 1994
Notice in Federal Register of 28 October 1994 of separation of the Programatic Impact Statement into two separate Analyses: Tritium Supply and Recycling, and Stockpile Stewardship and Management.
- Reactor Options for Plutonium Disposition, October 1994
- Public Meeting and Discussion, 4-5 May 1994, Summary and Facilitator's Report, 21 May 1994
International Issues in the Disposition of Excess Separated Plutonium. Separate files for various breakout sessions.
- Interagency Working Group Report, International Issues in the
Disposition of Excess Separated Plutonium
Facility-Level Environmental Assessments and Impact Statement Documents
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI for the Nuclear Test Technology Complex, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), Livermore, California
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI for the Nuclear Directed Energy Research Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI for the Resumption of Surrogate Testing in the Engineering Demonstration System at the LLNL
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI for the Multipass Beamlet Testbed in Building 381 at LLNL
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI of the Interim Groundwater Treatment Facility Land Purchase at the Eastern General Services Area of LLNL.
Los Alamos Laboratory
- Dual Axis Radiographic Hydrodynamic Test Facility Final Environmental Impact Statement, August 1995 (DOE/EIS-0228)
- Environmental Assessment: Radioactive Source Recovery Program (DOE/EA-1059)
- Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI): Low Energy Accelerator Laboratory Technical Area 53 Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI): Proposed Actinide Source-Term Waste Test Program Los Alamos National Laboratory Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Environmental Assessment for Consolidation of Certain Materials and Machines for Nuclear Criticality Experiments and Training - Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, 21 May 1996 (DOE/EA-1104)
- Environmental Assessment for the Relocation of the Weapons Component Testing Facility Los Alamos National Laboratory Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Environmental Assessment of the Relocation of Neutron Tube Target Loading Operations Los Alamos Laboratory Los Alamos, New Mexico (DOE/EA-1131)
- Environmental Assessment TRU Waste Drum Staging Building Technical Area 55 Los Alamos Text Facility (DOE/EA-0823)
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI for Install Calibration Laboratory Building 12-52B Pantex Plant Amarillo, TX
- Environmental Assessment and FONSI for the High Explosive Machining Facility Project 88-D-125 Pantex Plant Amarillo, Texas
- Environmental Assessment for Interim Storage of Plutonium Components at Pantex and Department of Energy Response to Comments Received from the State of Texas
- Final Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for Environmental Safety and Health Analytical Laboratory Project NO. 94-AA-01 Pantex Plant Amarillo, Texas
DOE Nuclear Energy Publications
Warning!: These are huge files.
- Nuclear Reactors Built, Being Built, or Planned (DOE/OSTI-8200)
Annual compilation of unclassified information on commercial power facilities, research and experimental reactors, military reactors, and production reactors in the United States and U.S.-built reactors exported to other countries.
- Decommissioning of U.S. Uranium Production Facilities
- Nuclear Power Generation and Fuel Cycle Report 1996
Executive Summary at http://www.eia.doe.gov/cnneaf/nuclear/pub_summaries/npg_sum.html.
- Uranium Industry Annual 1995
- World Nuclear Outlook 1995
- Spent Nuclear Fuel Discharges from U.S. Reactor 1994
- Uranium Industry Annual 1994
Selected tables from the DOE report.
- Uranium Puchases Report 1993
The Internet and the Bomb: A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons is written and maintained by William M. Arkin and Robert S. Norris. Any questions, comments or suggestions should be sent to the authors at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. This page was last updated 5/1/97
Get Updates and Alerts
- New Report: "Tectonic Shift" in U.S. Energy Use--Renewables Surging; Coal, Oil, and Electricity Down
- posted by Ralph Cavanagh, 10/8/15
- China Environmental News Alert - April 24, 2015
- posted by NRDC China Team, 4/24/15
- CTBT ratification still uncertain after 15 years of advancement in nuclear test monitoring
- posted by Bemnet Alemayehu, 11/21/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- Working with the Department of Defense: Siting Renewable Energy Development Natural
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.