The Internet and the Bomb:
A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons
Table of Contents | Quick Guides | NRDC Nuclear Data | General Information | U.S. Executive Branch | U.S. Congress | International Governmental Organizations | Non-Govermental Organizations | Nuclear Weapons Issues
CHAPTER FOUR: INTERNATIONAL GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS
The UN Gopher is increasingly being replaced by World Wide Web homepages, but still has archival value. The Web site can be searched at http://www.un.org/search/.
UN Peace and Security Homepage
Links to the full range of UN disarmament and peacekeeping related activities.
UN Law Homepage
Links to the UN Treaty Database.
United Nations WWW and Gopher Servers and Related Links
Excellent guide to UN organizations and Web sites.
UN Scholars' Workstation (Yale University)
Superb resource on the UN from Yale, a collection of texts, finding aids, data sets, maps, and pointers to print and electronic resources.
UN Disarmament Organizations
First Committee (Disarmament and International Security) of the General Assembly
One of six Main Committees of the UN General Assembly, dealing exclusively with disarmament and international security issues. Includes resolutions on disarmament and reports of the Secretary-General.
Center for Disarmament Affairs (CDA)
Part of the Department of Political Affairs of the UN Secretariat; provides support for the First Committee, Disarmament Commission and the Conference on Disarmament.
Bibliography of CDA Publications
Table of Contents and ordering information for UN Disarmament Yearbooks, Topical Papers, and "Disarmament" (the UN Journal).
QUICK GUIDES TABLE 9
Quick Guide to UN Documents
UN Documents Homepage
General Assembly Documents
Security Council Documents
Security Council Archive (1974-1993)
Security Council Resolutions
Secretary-General's Reports to the Security Council (April 1994-March 1996)
United Nations Disarmament Commission (UNDC)
Deliberative body of the UN General Assembly mandated to consider and make recommendations on various disarmament related issues.
Conference on Disarmament (CD)
Geneva-based organization established in 1979, the single multilateral disarmament negotiating forum.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Vienna-based United Nations organization. World Atom at http://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom contains public information; Tec Atom at http://www.iaea.or.at/tecatom.html contains technical information.
International Court of Justice (ICJ)
Hague (Netherlands)-based organization, the principal judicial organ of the United Nations. Its role is to settle legal disputes submitted to by states in accordance with international law and to give advisory opinions on legal questions referred to its by international organizations and agencies.
The Advisory Opinion of the ICJ: "Legality of the Threat or Use of Nuclear Weapons"
The World Court's 8 July 1996 Statement on the legality of the threat or use of nuclear weapons, briefs to the court, and various interpretations and responses to the Court can be found at the World Court Project and Stimson Center sites.
The Internet and the Bomb: A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons is written and maintained by William M. Arkin and Robert S. Norris. Any questions, comments or suggestions should be sent to the authors at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. This page was last updated 5/1/97
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Replacing the San Onofre Nuclear Plant Without More Dirty Power Plants
- posted by Devra Wang, 5/20/13
- Studying Severe Weather Impacts on U.S. Nuclear Plants
- posted by Corinne Hanson, 3/25/13
- Global Nuclear Reactor Database Developed by NRDC
- posted by Jordan Weaver, 3/15/13
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
- Post-Fukushima Hardened Vents with High-Capacity Filters for BWR Mark Is and Mark IIs
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.