The Internet and the Bomb:
A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons
Table of Contents | Quick Guides | NRDC Nuclear Data | General Information | U.S. Executive Branch | U.S. Congress | International Governmental Organizations | Non-Govermental Organizations | Nuclear Weapons Issues
CHAPTER FIVE: NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS
A mixed bag of some very good resources and some not so good ones located at U.S. and foreign universities. Most are think tanks or research centers specializing in arms control or international security issues. Many of the sites merely provide student and faculty information, course guides and curricula.
Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Bochum Verification Project (Institut fuer Experimentalphysik III) (Germany)
The Carter Center (Emory University)
Mostly dealing with conflict resolution.
Centre for Defence and International Security Studies (CDISS) (Lancaster University, UK)
Good coverage of resources on missile threats and responses, including the CDISS Missile Threats & Responses Resource Base.
Center for Defense Journalism (Boston University)
Trains journalists to report and write on military affairs. Site include issues of the monthly "Defense Media Review."
Center for Energy and Environmental Studies (Princeton University)
Center for International Security and Arms Control (CISAC) (Stanford University)
Includes resources on weapons of mass destruction, scientific aspects of international securit, great power relations, and conflict resolution.
Center for International Security Studies at Maryland (CISSM) (University of Maryland)
Center for International Trade and Security (CITS) (University of Georgia)
Projects include Russia and newly independent states and Asia. The site includes the quarterly journal "Monitor" on nonproliferation, demilitarization and arms control.
Center for Non-Proliferation Studies (Monterey Institute of International Studies)
Research, data collection and retrieval, and training organization in nonproliferation studies. Publishes the "Non-proliferation Review" (the table of contents is online at http://cns.miis.edu/npr.html) and has databases on the former Soviet Union and nuclear weapons and missiles.
Global Security Programme (Cambridge University, UK)
Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace (Stanford University)
Extensive resources with particular strength in Russian and Soviet areas.
Institute on Conflict and Global Cooperation (IGCC) (University of California at San Diego)
Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies (Israel)
Based at Tel Aviv University, the JCSS examines matters of Israeli national security and Middle Eastern strategic affairs.
The John M. Olin Institute for Strategic Studies (Harvard University)
Kennedy School of Government Homepage (Harvard University)
With links to many other Harvard-based centers and resources.
Center for Science and International Affairs (CSIA)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Program in Science, Technology, and Society
Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) (University of Frankfurt, Germany)
Ridgway Center for International Security Studies (University of Pittsburgh)
Programs on transnational organized crime and security, proliferation, and regional conflict and security.
The Internet and the Bomb: A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons is written and maintained by William M. Arkin and Robert S. Norris. Any questions, comments or suggestions should be sent to the authors at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. This page was last updated 5/1/97
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- The Clean Energy Way to Fight Climate Change
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 11/8/13
- The Many Ways the Government Shutdown Hurt Public Health and the Environment
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 10/17/13
- Springdale, Utah, a "ghost town," Mayflower spill response slowed and massive furloughs for oversight of nuclear plants in Day 11 of the GOP's government shutdown
- posted by Scott Slesinger, 10/11/13
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.